Front leg kicks

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by qbushido, Jan 13, 2004.

1. qbushido

qbushido Subaru whore/NYC kid

I've noticed in my brief time training in MT that there is no kicking from the front leg(other then the teep), To me this seems less then wise as the front leg can be an effective tool for low level attacks.

2. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

You can throw any kicks with the front leg, and it can still be effective with proper technique. However the back one is much stronger compare to front leg, but is also much slower. It really depend on how your opponent come towards you, I say practice both.

3. qbushido

I agree, and I do practice both, but am I wrong for saying that as MT is taught, front leg kicks are not part of the cirriculum.

4. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

The teep is simple and direct and can be applied to all target levels from legs to face. You can always teep with both legs not just the front one as you are always given the option of switching stances, sliding forward, etc.

5. stump

stump Supersub

Comparitively little power in a lead leg kick unless you throw it into a combo where you can step off line and make some distance for yourself to throw it powerfully.

Also I find them quite easy to "jam".

The teep is a great tool though

6. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

lead leg kicks are great for "hacking" at your opponent's weak tender areas. kick into his exposed calf, inside his thigh, into his weiner, stop him with a push kick, snap kick to face, etc etc. True you won't get the benefits of added power like in a rear leg kick, but in MT you can switch legs to do that. You don't need to step off line sometimes. If you switch fast enough, you can pull off those kicks with surprising success.

7. qbushido

in the weiner.....you are OK in my book nicolo

8. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

heh, it aint legal in the ring, but most def in the street.

9. totality

totality New Member

left hook, right cross, left kick, right cross, left hook, right kick

very good combo, and very good example of using a lead leg kick.

10. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Some simple examples of Kicking with the lead leg in Thai/ Burmese Arts are:

The Cut Kick (45 degree/ roundhouse). Left leg forward stance. Step off the centreline 45 degrees with the rear leg and kick upward into attackers ribs, Sp, Nads etc with the lead leg (the Left). Kerchiiing.

Switch kick (45 degree/ Roundhouse), from Left leg forward stance, literally quick change of feet, so that the lead leg becomes the rear and 'Fire in the Hole' .

I know it's cheating but hey it was my lead leg for a moment...
    Quite a few more more.

11. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

try:

left roundkick to ribs/inner thigh, fall into right cross, fake left hook, rear round kick with right leg

left teep to body, step up with right foot, left round kick

12. stump

stump Supersub

Hey nothing wrong with a skip roundhouse...it's the best way to make use of a front leg kick

13. BangkokBabay

BangkokBabay New Member

Hi Nicolo! :D

I like your ideas on teeps and kicking, I also like the combination you mentioned. What do you think of the rear teep? I like it~ Yes I understand it's fairly telegraphed, but depending on the situation it can be effective! I would use the back teep and follow with the opposite knee once the teep is put down and leaves my other leg (knee) - my rear leg so I get some power.

I just would like your input or any other ideas! ;)

:Angel:

14. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

My instructor was teaching us to follow up with a front roundhouse if your miss with a rear one. I cant do it still, but his were fast and powerful.

15. BangkokBabay

BangkokBabay New Member

Yes! indeed what you say is true! I was taught to follow up with the knee
    to use as an option - from one of my trainers,I have not seen many MT people follow up with the knee here.

:Angel:

Kupkoonka!

16. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Yea I think it will be awhile before I get used to it. And even longer before I get good at it.

Just out of curiousity... what do you mean by "here"?? MAP??

17. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

or if you miss the rear roundhouse, don't turn all the way but use the same leg for a side teep (sidekick)

or:

missed roundhouse, follow with chorake fad haang from other leg
    missed roundhouse, spin around and follow with backfist
    missed roundhouse, follow with kwang liewang (back kick)
    missed roundhouse, spin on supporting leg, follow with same leg for second roundhouse (tough!)
    missed roundhouse, spin around, follow with jumping or flying knee.

as for teeps, I like to think of that as my third punch.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  18. BangkokBabay

BangkokBabay New Member

HI Grifter!

My apologies in regards to "here" I ment the states. My Bad! :)

19. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

That's the combinations I loved when I was in Muay Thai and usefull in TKD sparring. :)

20. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Excuse my ignorance, but could someone just define what a "teep" is please? :) I don't study muay thai so im not to sure what they are! :) (no gym/school around here unfortunatly)