Jeet Kune Do or decent alternative martial art in Chelsea are of London?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by benuds, Apr 7, 2011.

1. benuds

benuds New Member

Mods feel free to replicate or move if necessary

I've been a student in Jun Fan jeet Kune do for 3 years in Nottingham under Jimi Heys, I've recently moved to London and want to continue my training in Martial arts. I would ideally like to find a good JKD gym that isnt too ridiculously expensive, but from my research that seems impossible so would be happy with a decent kickboxing,Muay Thai or MMA club near my place of work (kings road chelsea) just so i can keep fit and 'vent' so to speak....can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks for reading

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Personally, I'd stay away from JKD but choose whatever you find fun. If you want to know any thai boxing gyms just PM and I can send you a list of those nearby.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Personally i would choose JKD - HA!

However, there is good and there is bad - if you are in London you could do a lot worse than;

http://bobbreen.com/

4. Master Betty

You mean THIS shower....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRjAbo8bKBs&feature=channel_video_title"]YouTube - Paul & Carl Sparring[/ame]

Come on. IF that's how they spar... stay far away.

5. Hannibal

That's an energy drill not sparring

although in fairness they refer to it as sparring - it is a misnomer

6. Master Betty

exactly - the man himself calls it sparring.

and it is very poor no matter WHAT it is.

7. Hannibal

It was not exactly the best video you chose either! Bob wasn't even in it!

8. Master Betty

Not my fault. speaks wonders if THATS the "sparring" video he chooses to present.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I quite liked it. Somewhere between shadow boxing and actual sparring.
    Not the be-all and end-all but a useful exercise I think.

10. Hannibal

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-yvllmpMYA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-yvllmpMYA[/ame]

A much better overview of the gym methinks rather than a flow/energy drill presented as sparring.

JKD as a whole tend to spar in a more relaxed fashion when we have no gloves on - otherwise it gets a bit messy. You can see from MB's clip that there is energy feel and flow included within it. It is a step up from hubud and chi sao - dynamic but still quite safe.

I have seen many non-JKD gyms use the same approach when easing students into sparring

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And his other videos are pretty good too. Already picked up a couple of pointers to take into my sparring. :)

12. Hannibal

Bob is a nice guy from what I have been told. I have never met him in person, but his reputation as a teacher and practitioner is solid.

JKD vids in isolation are a bit of a mixed blessing. If I show you a hubud drill without explaining it it looks like patty cake. In this instance Master Betty can be excused as the video clearly labels itself as sparring when it really isn't (at least not in conventional terms).

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

His vids are well worth a look. Sadly Bob stutters a little but the info is really good.
    And for a man that's gotta ben in his 60's with two false hips he can clearly move.

14. Simon

Simon Moved on Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Another vote for Bob Breen.

I have trained in JKD under one of Bob's Black Belts and have done a few sessions with him. Great guy and great skill. Do not judge by one video.

15. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

LMFAO thats probably the worst sparring ive ever seen again LMAO:D:D:D:D:D:D

16. Hannibal

Your lack of ability is showing; might want to fix that

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It may not be to everyone's taste but that was NOT the worst "sparring" on Youtube by quite a large margin.

18. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Anyone who critises Bob obviously dose not know him and has not trained with him. I trained with him for many years. The man is an invator. A pioneer and one of the best instructors this country and Europe has to offer.

Bob along with Jeff Briton brought kick boxing to the UK. He captained the British full contact Karate team many years ago. He added boxing. Grappling and weapons and stick fighting to his training long before anyone here heard of JKD. He brought JKD to Europe. He coach some of the best stickfighters in Europe. The list goes on.

I have watched him knock thugs out with efficiency I have sparred with him when he had damaged hips and had my backside handed to me on a plate. I have fought to great success in many formats under him.

The man knows his onions and anyone who says otherwise is ignorant to what a true martial artist and fighter he is.

Bob is the best you can get in London and anyone who says otherwise don't know what their talking about. He is one of our well known best kept secrets.

Best regards

Pat.

19. Pat OMalley

And if you want something a little closer to home the you cant go wrong with Steve Foy. I trained him many years ago and he also trained at Bob Breens Academy for a while he is a top class fighter too I believe he is nearer you.

http://www.jkdlondon.co.uk/tiga-martial-arts-academy.php

Best regards

Pat

20. Pat OMalley

Put it this way Bob has trained successfully champions in everything from Karate and kickboxing in the early years to Thai Boxers, Stick Fightets and Vale Tudo and MMA Fighters. So can't spar? Really. Tell it to his stable of fighter that he groomed over the years.

Best regards

Pat
    One of Bob's old school stable of fighters.