King of the Ring VIII: RESULTS!

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Khun Kao, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

King of the Ring VIII

Saturday, March 6th

Surfside Inn, Virginia Beach, VA

MT- Glen Spencer (NBS Gym) def. Brooks Miller (One Spirit Muay Thai) by unanimous dec.

MMA- Brandon Bean (Team VBAMA) def. Joe Young (American Sombo Academy) by KO 1st round

MMA- Russell Elleby (Angels Gym) def. Phillip Wyman (Yax Bothers) by unanimous dec.

MT- John Bossard (Black Belt USA) def. William Mason (Hybrid Academy) by TKO round 3

Sombo- Terrell Parker (Team VBAMA) def. Steve Wolf (American Sombo Academy) by submission round 1

MT- Roderick Melvin (Universal Fighting Systems) def. Sean Paitsel (Team VBAMA) by TKO round 3

MMA- Bruce Densberger (American Sombo Academy) def. Eugene Nikitins (Team VBAMA) by TKO round 3

MMA- David Caplain (Hybrid Academy) def. Kevin Chhay (Baltimore Academy) by TKO round 2

MT- Umear Haq (Team MiKiDo) def. Marc Moreno (Team VBAMA) by split dec.

MMA- Michael AcedoMalaney (American Sombo Academy) def. Doug Brummell (Reality Training Systems) by TKO round 2

MT- Nicole Hess (Team MiKiDo) def. Melanie Kohler (Flash Academy)

2. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Khunkao, ya lost!
    What happened during the course of your match?

3. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

****, I had just posted a LONG response, and lost it....

I'll try again later. I'm too ****ed off now....

4. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Let me try again.....

First off, I have to give mad props to my opponent, Glen Spencer. He and his coaches are a total class act. We fought a very exciting and CLEAN match! We were the very first match of the evening, and we left an impression on the crowd. Everyone was saying all night how we had been the best Muay Thai match of the evening (Muay Thai & MMA event).... well, until the LAST fight that is. The last fight was 2 females fighting for a title. WOW! What a match! Lots of blood!

As I'm sure you can appreciate, my memory regarding EXACTLY what happened each round is blurry, so I'll just grace you with a few things that stood out.

ROUND 1: I attempted to control the pace of the match by being the aggressor, but my opponent took the lead on the cards during this round when he tatooed a vicious punching combo on my face (4+ punches!) that stunned me. (I saw the video. My guard was UP, but wasn't TIGHT). Also, my opponent had excellent lateral movement, circling around me constantly and never giving me the chance to line up a sustained attack. While attempting to initiate the clinch with one another, my opponent and I accidentally head-butted each other. I have a nice knot in the middle of my forehead to show for it.... (LOL) I think my opponent won this round.

ROUND 2: I don't really remember anything truly significant from this round. We exchanged punches, kicks, and knees pretty evenly, and I think I may have taken this round.

ROUND 3: We were both losing steam fast towards the end of this round. My opponent NAILED me with a straight knee to the body as I tried to initiate a clinch. I landed a pretty good leg kick on him, buckling his leg, but I did not follow it up. I also almost knee'ed my opponent in the face. He was wriggling and squirming away from my clinch as I was throwing a knee, and it brushed up the side of his face. Close call! We were fighting amateur (3x 2-min rounds) so knees to the head are fouls, though in this case, he would have likely been considered to be at fault because I wasn't aiming at his head, I was aiming at his chest and he was moving into it. My opponent won this round, however, and the match.

All in all, it was a very good, close fight. When the final bell had rung, I truly felt that I had lost the match. My opponent had outfought me by sticking with a smarter game plan that I had.

The problems I was having in the ring are this...

1. I haven't fought in 10 years. Even though I felt good in training, stepping into the ring is a whole 'nother animal. I really FELT the 10 year layoff once the bell rang.

2. I didn't spar enough in preparation for this match. I think I participated in 5 sparring sessions in the 2 - 3 months leading up to this fight. It wasn't for lack of TRYING to arrange sparring matches, but things just kept falling through. I tried to arrange matches with other local, experienced fighters, but the plans were constantly falling through at the last minute. In the end, I really only got to spar with my students, and though they tried their best to give me different looks and to push me, it just isn't the same as sparring someone with experience.

3. I have been learning a new style of boxing the last 6 months or so. I thought I was comfortable enough to fight with it, but again, once the opening bell sounded, I discovered that I just wasn't comfortable enough to throw. I kept hesitating for an instant, but an instants hesitation in the ring and you've missed your window of opportunity.

4. I was WAY TOO HYPER! In the hours leading up to my match, I could not get myself to calm down and relax! I followed my coaches instructions, and remained seated or laying down the whole time until I needed to warm up, but it wasn't enough. My heart was racing all afternoon. During my prefight medical evaluation, my systolic was over 140!!! (My blood pressure has always been normal when tested during normal evalulations) I don't even want to know what my heart rate was. I could feel my heart pounding! (my normal resting heart rate is 45 bpm). So, as you can imagine, by the time I stepped into the ring, I was EXHAUSTED, and I never caught that 2nd wind. I remember hoping for it to kick in during my fight, because I *really* needed it!

I think that all the above reasons play off of one another. It all boiled down to me just not having the confidence in what I was doing. I didn't "trust" my technique and was hesitating too much. Also, my opponent had GREAT lateral movement, which was throwing my rhythm and timing completely off! I just could NOT line up my shots or combo's. But like I said, he came in with the smarter game plan and stuck with it, which gave him the win.

5. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

wow, sounded like a close call, sorry to hear about that. Hey dun sweat it, there's always next time right?
    Was he more of a defensive counterfighter? Seems like he was more content with staying evasive and picking apart his opponents with nasty combos.
    Was he trying to squirm out of the clinch because he wasn't comfortable in it? Perhaps that was the key. He liked to hit and move and only fights back when pressed hard like in Round 1. Maybe he didn't like the clinch because he wasn't too comfortable in it and it was a weakness that might be exploited.

Next fight, hehe charge into the ring like a raving lunatic. You might as well put that hyper-ness to good use.

Arggg, I can't see anything here, is there online video anywhere?? :mad:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  6. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

You are exactly correct about his strategy, Nicolo...

He told me after the fight that in Round 1, when he rocked me with that vicious punching combo and I just shook it off and kept coming, he *knew* that he needed to stay away from me. He circled CONSTANTLY and attacked from the perimeter, just as you said.

My corner was trying to get me to stop chasing him "Make him come to you!", but what they were saying didn't sink in until AFTER the fight.... (don't you HATE it when that happens?!?) You see, because he had rocked me a few times in the 1st round (I knew he had taken that round), I felt the need to try and "make up for it". I wanted to go and get him to get those points back, ya know? But I only ended up playing even further into his (and his coaches) hands.

Hindsight is 20/20.....

There is no online video, but there are a few pics posted here and there. The two pics of our fight are grainy and don't show much. The rest of the pics are of my Ram Muay and of post-fight poses with coaches, family, and friends....

7. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

really?? ok so it was true then. Yeah I guess play defensive for a bit, and encourage him to come closer. Since he loves to move around, let him move but pick him apart HARD. You were def. the stronger fighter and he was afraid of exchanging blows with you head on, unless he HAD to. That's why he squirmed away and also stuck knees into you when you got close. It's not his comfort zone.

Yeah i guess in the end, you tried to play catch up but it was too late because he had already frustrated you. Hehe just either stand there like a psycho and stare him down next time or cut off the guy's escape route and pound him hard. That'll stop him and make him think twice.

8. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

yeah, after the fight I wanted to kick myself when I realized the little strategic adjustments I could have made during the fight to turn the tables. It was all little things...

Cut off the ring to prevent his lateral movement...

Stop pursuing him in a straight-forward manner....

Use my own lateral movement (which I had drilled incessantly!) both in and out of the clinch.....

Overall, my mistakes were minor. He was doing just enough to take me out of my game, frustrate me, and win the fight.

One thing I will tell you though, the clinch *IS* one of his comfort zones as well! He has GOOD neck-wrestling skills and decent knees. Its just that mine are better. I don't mean to take anything away from him by saying that. He is the ONLY OPPONENT I've ever faced who has succeeded in catching me with solid knee strikes that left an impression on me! Every time I've fought in the past, NO ONE has ever landed a knee on me that I even felt! Glen (my opponent) on the other hand, really nailed me a good a few times. But he told me after the fight that I have a VERY strong clinch, which is why he kept trying to squirm away from me....

9. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Strong clinch meaning your arms were locked around him like an alligator's jaws? Enough to make his head feel like a squished grapefruit? That's pretty powerful. Do you train alot for that? Pull-ups, cable rows, etc? Just wondering...
    Hehe, it's enough to make anyone feel light-headed.
    Do you remember what were some of the things he did to bypass and get his knees in during the clinch? Like what did he do that was different from the others? Did he use a lot of head and arm control, body control?

10. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

No, I never quite got that good of a lock-down on him. He kept squirming around and prevented me from really locking down on him.

What he was doing was pulling away, and twisting to the side so that many of my knees did not hit flush. Some did, but most did not (even though they were making contact). For instance, I was told that at one point, I *did* land a flush knee to his torso that lifted him up off the mat! (I have just *gotta* see the video for that!)

Basically, he would pull backwards, then twist a little to the side.

I did a lot of weight training focusing on my shoulders, lats, chest, and back. Multiple variations of Seated rows, Lat pull-downs, Dumbbell work, designed to hit the muscle groups at varying angles for a good overall increase in functional strength.

When he nailed me with his knees, he was doing it towards the end of the match when I was starting to slow down and my clinchwork was a little sloppier. The one knee that he REALLY nailed me with was as I was stepping in to initiate the clinch. I walked right into his knee. Other times, as he wriggled backwards, he created the space with his hips to sneak in a knee as I tried to reclose the gap and setup a knee of my own.

The predominant clinch positions used were Head/Neck Control, and Head/Arm Control. There were a few times where I employed over- or underhooks on his arms to control him, but for the most part we were both fighting for Head/Neck Control. I don't believe that either of us even bothered to attempt going for Body Control.

He did try to turn me from side-to-side in the clinch more than others have, but I have a pretty solid base in the clinch and he wasn't able to move me around very much.

But, I have to also admit that I'm speaking entirely from memory. I will have a copy of the fight tape early next week to watch and see what REALLY happened! My memory and impressions of the match are likely off-base in many areas. For instance, he may have hit me a whole lot more than I realize, its just that at the time, I wasn't feeling anything, so therefore didn't notice what was happening.

After I watch the tape extensively, I'll come back and post a more detailed description of the match....

11. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

yeah let's go to the video tape as Warner Wolf would say. It's sometimes embarassing to see yourself on video but it's the best way to catch your flaws. Glen is 175lbs no? Who was heavier and/or taller?

12. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Official "tale of the tape"...

Glen Spencer
    32 years old
    180 lbs
    6'1" - 6'2" (not sure exactly, but he is a little taller than me)

Brooks Miller
    34 years old
    179 lbs
    6'0"