Terry Valler MMA/JKD

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by BÅÑdit, Feb 27, 2011.

1. february

february Valued Member

Que?

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

why? thefirecehadou seems to have so much fun on them!

3. thefiercehadou

thefiercehadou Banned Banned

the fierce hadou enjoys a challenge!

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Try sobreity

5. thefiercehadou

thefiercehadou Banned Banned

i rarely drink...gives me a headache.....

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

You might well be right on both counts :' )

Still if, as the person I was responding to stated, an individual gets p.o.'d then why not try to influence the situation in a positive way rather than get wound up?

Who would learn? As an example,if you practised your FMA with people who didn't know FMA wouldn't it be obvious that you had skill set that they were missing? If it is that obvious to the people there, instructors or students, then you might see that they either change what they are promoting or wise up and get more training in the real thing.

I really was not thinking of a challenge as much as the person I was responding to putting themself into a position where the advantages of real MMA training might be obvious. I had this happen when a friend visited a kung fu club years ago where they were not really doing KF. They were surprised at what someone who could use the stuff properly could do. I could see a MMA guy going into a pseudo class making people think twice about the level of their skills/training if he was able to submit everyone easily as a newcomer. If what a club did was really good then i might be pleasantly surprised. Either way potentially both sides might win.

I think that things can done diplomatically for a positive outcome.

Does that make more sense?

LFD

7. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I was thinking why get upset if they don't do what is expected. Rather, if you are into MMA then you would be in a position to show them what someone who trains does. Not implying that you would be challenging anyone but why not take advantage and participate. If you show them real skills then they would see what real training can achieve. If they end up being better than expected then you might find you have a chance to pick something up.

Might be fun and they might gain a new respect for what MMA actually does...

Does that make more sense?

LFD

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Yes it does.

Cheers

Pat

9. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

11. Master Betty

thanks for uploading terry, it certainly looks on another level from most of the JKD types I tend to see on here. I do stand by my opinion about the striking however, it still doesn't look like your guys' strong point.

12. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

I didnt see any strikes in this clip
    Was basic drills i saw in the first gym clip and in the fight clip the Jkd guy didnt striked really..he went for grappling and takedowns mainly.Originally JKD method talks against groundfight.
    MB as i know you are in the UK right?
    I am happy to catch up for a training with you and exchange impressions of both style we represent.so anytime you in London give me a pm and will try to arrange to hook up.this is a friendly request nothing about fattest c...s
    How is it sounds?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  13. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

Also ll try to shoot some vid about some strikes we do and how to train for if i be able to go in the gym and find my mate to cooparate.(was planned many times..i ve asked guys they said sure and later they turned back so apart from my girlfriend noone standed to coorporate yet)
    I am sure strikes wasnt a main purpose of Terrys videoclip and he could of represent that very well

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  14. Master Betty

I won't be back in the UK until later this month and even then it's scotland mate. I'm very rarely in London.

15. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

thats fine mate I am busy as hell anyway.may it happen in the future sometimes.
    but would be great to show you some principles and applications experienced by yourself to see how its applied against your own technic.
    I believe you could use some of the JKD principals into your fights successfully.

16. february

february Valued Member

Thanks Terry. The fact that you have guys competing gives you about +1,000,000 kudos compared to alot of other JKD schools.

Out of interest, where does your sub-wrestiling curriculum come from? At a guess I'd say it's CSW based?

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

He does CSW certainly, I believe he does Jitz as well.

18. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

I just had a private lesson with Terry today.Really great Guy as Martial Artist and a person too!
    He knows whats working no useless bollucks and really helpful and focus on the subject I am interesting.
    I ll carry on and learn grappling and groundfight as many times I can go in the future.
    BTW anyone can ask him about me also about my idiotic theories...

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Did you try your thai leg defence with him out of curiosity?

20. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

Yes we had the same oppinion.to Crush inside.also pull the leg back away.but attack asllways better than defensive action.so..
    interesting isnt it?
    especially because He teach Muay thai.